Guaranteed to ignite your enthusiasm for the art. When the Los Angeles Times says, "[this book] is purely and simply Bradbury's love song to his craft," they're not just kidding. Ray will have you be itching to get back to your keyboard in no time.
Not only offers practical writing advice (and inspiriration), but addresses the joys and pitfalls of writing life as well. Topics like "Shitty First Drafts" and "Broccoli" are handled with compassion, wit, and a hefty dose of commiseration.
For a guy who makes his living scaring the pants of everyone and his mother, Stephen does a terrific job of taking the fear out of writing. He shares personal experiences, writing habits, and clear-cut advice.
According to Natalie, "What have I learned about writing over these thirty years? I’ve written fourteen books, and it’s the practice here in Bones that is the foundation, sustaining and building my writing voice, that keeps me honest, teaches me how to endure the hard times and how to drop below discursive thinking, to taste the real meat of our minds and the life around us."
Although technically about painting, this book offers a banquet to any creative person, speaking about inspiration, developing your own style, and remaining true to your personal gift.
What a read! What a ride! Far from being your basic how-to book, Pulitzer Prize winner Dillard's Writing Life speaks to the heart and soul of the art. It's not light reading, but well worth the time and effort. You'll definitely identify.
"Where readers and authors meet"
- connects authors with bloggers and reviewers
- training courses in various aspects of self-publishing (some free, some paid)
- free author Tweet Teams, Facebook Like program, Twitter follow program
- free author toolbox
- free book marketing video
- community Facebook page where members can ask questions and get advice
Provides like-minded authors a network of diverse Social Media platforms from which to gain greater reach
- genre-specific hubs
- platforms include Rebelmouse, Tiberr, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest
- forums that include author services and tutorials
- author profiles
Dedicated to reviewing and supporting authors
Provides resources for book marketing and book production
Membership: free and premium ($105)
Benefits of free membership:
- video tutorials
- author marketing academy
- premade book covers
- bookalyzer (to determine book rankings, recommendations, and more)
- free book submission tool
- enhanced Amazon description tool demo
- book widget creation tool